gluten-free-almond-butter-bars

This post is going to be short and sweet today bakers! I’ve got two deadlines, a laundry room filled with piles a mile high {ahh, teenagers!}, 223 pages left to read before tomorrow’s book club and two weeks worth of mail to sort. And that’s just what’s at the top of my to-do list. This day kinda feels like a Monday all over again, but I’m going to power through and get it all done.

gluten-free-almond-butter-bars

Before I get on with my to-do list, I wanted to share these Almond Butter Bars that really need to be at the top of  your must-bake list! I posted the recipe for these bars in cookie form last year on Instagram and you all went bonkers for them. Turns out I’ve got some almond butter fans out there and many of you were thrilled to see a delicious recipe made without butter. Yep, you heard that right. These bars don’t have a single dab of butter in them and you won’t miss it one bit. Promise.

gluten-free-almond-butter-bars

One of the questions I am asked the most when people find out I run a baking blog is “do you eat all those sweets you make?”.  Followed closely by “how are you so tiny with all of those baked goods around?”.  Well, truth be told I do have decent genes {thanks mom!}, I work out almost everyday {give or take} and I’m generally a pretty healthy eater. I try to follow the 80/20 rule….eating whole, nutritious foods 80% of the time and whatever the heck I want the other 20% of the time. I believe in a moderation just as much as the next girl, but I’m always down for a good splurge.

It’s all about balance, amiright?

 

When I am eating healthy-ish {I see you summertime!}, my sweet tooth still wants great taste and mega flavor. No cardboard cookies for me, thank you very much. Enter these Almond Butter Bars. These gluten free goodies are the happy result of a little accidental baking experiment and I cannot say enough good things about them. They are full of nutty almond butter flavor, a pleasant hint of coconut and they have the perfect balance of salty meets sweet that I crave. These bars are made with coconut oil instead of butter and almond flour in place of regular all purpose flour. You won’t miss those traditional ingredients one bit…these Almond Butter Bars are pure magic!

gluten-free-almond-butter-bars

If you prefer a cookie to a bar, feel free to make the recipe as is and simply scoop the cookie dough onto baking sheets rather than spread it into a baking pan. Then bake for just 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.

Hello ooey gooey goodness.

These bars are my favorite enjoyed warm from the oven with a sprinkle of flakey sea salt and they are perfect for dunking in a glass of cold almond or oat milk.

SO GOOD!!

If you make these Almond Butter Bars or any other recipe from the blog, be sure to tag @brownedbutterblondie on Instagram. I love to see what you’re baking in your kitchen! And don’t forget to follow along on Pinterest where you’ll find all the latest recipe details straight from the blog. See you back here this weekend with a summertime favorite that will be a big hit at your Memorial Day barbecue!

 

Gluten Free Almond Butter Bars
 
Print
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
 
Made with smooth almond butter and a hint of coconut oil, these gluten free bars are a delicious treat warm from the oven.
Created By:
Recipe type: Bars
Serves: 9
Ingredients
  • 1 cup blanched almond flour
  • ¼ cup coconut flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ¼ tsp kosher salt
  • 5 TBSP coconut oil, melted
  • 5 TBSP smooth almond butter, room temperature
  • ¾ cup light brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
  • 1¼ tsp vanilla
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and line bottom and sides of pan with parchment paper.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  4. In a large mixing bowl, mix coconut oil and brown sugar with a wooden spoon for 1 minute.
  5. Stir in the almond butter and vanilla and mix until well combined.
  6. Add egg and stir well.
  7. Stir dry ingredients in to the coconut oil mixture until barely combined. Do not over mix.
  8. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine.
  9. Scoop dough into the prepared baking pan and use an offset spatula to level the top and press dough into the corners of the pan.
  10. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until top is golden brown and center is set.
  11. Cool on a baking rack for 15-20 minutes before removing from pan.
  12. Cool completely before slicing into 9 squares.
Notes
Best served warm from the oven.
Store left overs wrapped tightly in a cool, dry place.
Freezes well.