*Recipe updated 4/13/19. Photos updated 7/24/17.*
Last week I bought a bag of lemons from Trader Joe’s. I must’ve had some brilliant plan for them at the time, but the next day I really couldn’t remember what it might have been.
I didn’t want to let my beautiful lemons go to waste, so I came up with another brilliant plan for them…
And it was the perfect time to make a batch of cookies. Berney was scheduled to work an overnight event shift with the fire department, and what firefighters don’t like vegan cookies at 2am?? None.
I got to be in my little world of baking happiness for a while, and firefighters got yummy snacks to keep their blood sugar levels running strong. Win-win.
These lemon cookies are quite simple to make and only require eight ingredients you likely already have on hand!
Unlike many vegan cookie recipes, this one doesn’t use vegan butter. Instead, coconut oil is the fat of choice. Lemon and coconut are kinda besties in the food world. Can you think of anything lemon coconut-y that doesn’t taste amazing? No. No you cannot.
One note on the coconut oil: This recipe works best if your coconut oil is NOT melted. It should be around room temperature and soft enough that you can scoop it out of its container. Since moving to Southern California, I’ve noticed that the warm weather pretty much keeps my coconut oil in the cupboard at the proper scooping consistency. So that’s helpful.
Definitely don’t forget to roll the cookie dough balls in sugar before baking. It gives them such a pretty look – like they’re covered in glitter. Even firefighters like glitter (actually I bet they didn’t notice, but that’s alright).
I only ended up using 2 small lemons for this recipe, which means there are still 5 lemons left in the bag I bought. Therefore, I feel it is necessary to make another batch of these lemon cookies. Right now. Because some days you just need cookies, cookies, and more cookies.
If you try this recipe (or any So Much Yum recipe) I’d love to know about it! Tag @somuchyumblog in a photo on Instagram, or leave a comment below!
CHEWY VEGAN LEMON COOKIES
Yield: 16 cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp agave
- ½ cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- ¼ cup coarse sugar, for coating
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with silicon baking mat or parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, lemon zest and juice, agave and coconut oil until fully combined. Add to the dry mixture and stir with a large spoon until fully combined.
- Place the coarse sugar in a small bowl.
- Scoop 1½ Tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Roll in the coarse sugar to fully coat and place on the prepared baking sheet; repeat with remaining dough to make 16 total. Gently press on the tops of the dough balls with your fingers to flatten to approximately ½ inch thick; the cookies don’t spread much while baking.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until barely golden on the edges. Let cool on baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cookies can be stored in a sealed container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
- These cookies also ship well – I’ve mailed them up the length of the West Coast for Christmas and birthdays, and they maintain their integrity well.
Just because I’m a bit of a sentimentalist (is that a word?), here’s one of the original photos for this recipe circa October 2014. We’ve come a long way, my friends…